Cedar shingles and shakes were here long before the advent of asphalt shingles and are in fact the forefather of the asphalt shingle. Cedar shake and cedar shingle come primarily from western red cedar trees, eastern white cedar trees and Alaskan yellow cedar.
Cedar Shingles VS Cedar Shakes
The difference between shakes and shingles are how they are made. Basically a cedar shingle is sawn with uniform ends, tapered evenly and they have a smooth front and back (or similar/identical surfaces); a shake is split but can be sawn, they are more thick at the base end (a.k.a butt end), and are tapered from one end to the other.
Benefits of Cedar Shingles:
- With a little maintenance and TLC a wood shingle roof can actually outlast cheaper roof types which can turn the higher cost of wood shake into a cost savings benefit. A good wood roof that is not exposed to too harsh of weather conditions should last up to 30 years.
- Wood shingles are undeniably unique in their appearance. The unique look of wood is one of its most desired benefits.
- Wood shingles are organic and eco friendly. This is an important benefit for those that are looking to be environmentally friendly when choosing what type of roof material they should get installed on their roof.
- Wood shingles are much more energy efficient than asphalt shingles. This energy efficiency could save the homeowner money on their heating and a/c bills.
- Wood shingles are very durable. Unlike other materials they are not prone to crack from hail or by being punctured. They also can withstand high winds much better than asphalt shingles.
Negatives of Cedar Shingles:
- Wood shingles or shakes cost more in material and in installation costs. This can be a drawback to many homeowners.
- Wood shingles catch on fire much easier than other types of roofing material.
- Wood shingles are harder to install.
- Wood shingles take more to maintain. Wood shingles definitely do not fall under the “do it and forget about it” category. To make sure a wood shingle roof lasts it takes some TLC.
Wood shingles are susceptible to termite damage or other insect problems. They can also suffer from rotting and mold more easily.
Had to have siding replaced on one side of my house and some roof repair. Service was fantastic, everything went extremely smooth.
Niko was recommended by some of the people in my community when we were looking at getting out roof re-shingled. I sought out several quotes, and Niko’s was competitive, and has an excellent reputation in Calgary. Niko was quick to follow up with a date they could start and was only delayed one day because of weather. Vlad the owner communicated through email and text which was really helpful. The whole roof took one day with his team, and everything was done and cleaned up by 5:00pm. I was very impressed. The roof looks great, I loved the varied shingle selection, so was able to pick a colour and design that looks great. Overall, very happy with our decision to go with this company.
Excellent service. On time, very good price and different options for payment.
Vlad's work is perfection! He is efficient, professional, very reasonably priced, excellent attitude. I highly recommend Niko Roofing LTD. We will definitely use Niko Roofing again.
Excellent service, Vlad and his team repaired the storm damage to my siding, gutters and roof with an upgrade to class 4 shingles. The task is easy enough to do on my own however both his and his team’s professionalism and competitiveness is what sold me to use his service. We had reached out to Vlad after everyone on the street signed with the door to door roofers. Our work was done weeks earlier then everyone else and in one day. Not only will I use you going forward for repairs and recommend you but I will also use your services on my commercial jobs. Thanks Niko Roofing !
Vlad and his crew were professional and responsible. They repaired a leak, installed a rook, and installed two sun tunnels in short order. It looks great and we are very happy with the result!
Just had our very large roof done in NW Calgary. Vlad was great to deal with!! had a quote on the spot then a PDF copy was sent to me later. I did not even bother obtaining any other quotes based on my first interaction. Material was ordered and dropped off in a timely manner. Crew showed up at 7:30 in the morning and started work right away. The crew had our roof done in one day (did not think this would be possible) site left immaculate and the all the guys were very nice and courteous.